Office: AAC 486
*Not recruiting Master of
Kinesiology Students for
2023-2024 as he will be
- Psychological Aspects of Physical Activity & Sport
- Applied Sport Psychology
- The Development of Sport Expertise
- Positive Youth Development in Sport and Physical Activity
- Applied Research Methods
- Sport coaching and leadership
- Positive youth development through sport and physical activity
- Sport psychology
- Association for Applied Sport Psychology – Doctoral Dissertation Award Review Committee
- Canadian Society for Psychomotor Learning and Sport Psychology (SCAPPS) – Nominating Committee
- Valley United Soccer Club – Youth Soccer Coach
- Shaw, R. B., Giroux, E. E., Gainforth, H. L., McBride, C. B., Vierimaa, M., & Martin Ginis K. A. (2022). Investigating the influence of interaction modality on the communication patterns of spinal cord injury peer mentors. Patient Education and Counseling, 105, 1229-1236. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pec.2021.09.008
- Dorsch, T. E., Vierimaa, M., Terwillegar, M., Coffman, J., & Shaw, T. (2021). “What’s Our Olympic Legacy?”: A Case Study of One Community’s Efforts to Optimize Youth Sport Programming Following a Mega-Sporting Event. Journal of Olympic Studies, 2, 84-109.
- Wray, P., Ward, C. K., Nelson, C., Sulzer, S. H., Dakin, C. J., Thompson, B. J., Vierimaa, M., Das Gupta, D., & Bolton, D. A. E. (2021). Pickleball for sedentary mid-life and older adults in rural Utah: A pilot study. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 18, 8374.
- Dorsch T. E., Carr, C., Vierimaa, M., & Ryan Dunn, C. (2021). Utilizing systems theory as a framework for interventions with athletes, parents, teams, and organizations. In D. R. Marks, A. T. Wolanin, & K. M. Shortway (Eds.), The Handbook of Clinical Sport Psychology (pp. 243-257). Routledge.
- Lawrason, S., Vierimaa, M., & Martin, L. J. (2020). Coach perceptions of the social environment in recreational youth sport. International Journal of Sport Psychology, 51, 197-220.
- Kim, J., Coleman, T., Godfrey, M., Vierimaa, M., & Eys, M. (2020). The dynamics of informal role development within sport teams: A case study approach. Psychology of Sport and Exercise, 48, 101670. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.psychsport.2020.101670
- Budziszewski, R., Graupensperger, S. J., & Vierimaa, M. (2020). Exploring predictors of moral disengagement in collegiate athletic trainers. Journal of Athletic Training, 55, 96-104. https://doi.org/10.4085/1062-6050-504-18
- Dunn, C. R., Hardiman, A. L., Dorsch, T. E., Vierimaa, M., & Osai, K. (2022, May 26-28). “We’re paying good money for this”: An examination of sport parents’ views on investment in elite sport participation during the COVID-19 pandemic. In M. Babkes-Stellino (Chair), ‘Sport parenting’: Evidence-based understanding of unique and relevant psychosocial experiences. Symposium conducted at the North American Society for the Psychology of Sport and Physical Activity Annual Conference, Kona, Hawaii.
- Hardiman, A. L., Dorsch, T. E., & Vierimaa, M. (2022, May 26-28). An examination of youth sport leaders’ efforts to keep an elite youth volleyball club operational during the global COVID-19 pandemic. In A. L. Hardiman (Chair), Understanding the interdependent nature of persons and contexts in youth sport: Implications for future research, design, and delivery of youth sport. Symposium conducted at the North American Society for the Psychology of Sport and Physical Activity Annual Conference, Kona, Hawaii.
- Vierimaa, M., Dorsch, T. E., & Hardiman, A. L. (2021, October 15-22). Coaching and COVID-19: A Longitudinal case study of youth volleyball coaches [Oral presentation]. 2021 Canadian Society for Psychomotor Learning and Sport Psychology (SCAPPS) National Conference, Nipissing University, North Bay, ON, Canada.
- Fleming, D., Dorsch, T. E., & Vierimaa, M. (June 2021). Perfectionism in sport: A citation network analysis. Poster presented at the 2021 North American Society for the Psychology of Sport and Physical Activity Virtual Conference.
- Hardiman, A. L., Dorsch, T. E., & Vierimaa, M. (June 2020). Organizational effectiveness in youth sport: Lessons learned from a year-long intervention with an elite volleyball club in the United States. Paper presented at the 2020 North American Society for the Psychology of Sport and Physical Activity Virtual Conference.
- Kim, J., Coleman, T., Godfrey, M., Vierimaa, M., & Eys, M. (June 2020). A mixed-methods multiple case study of informal roles in two university basketball teams. Paper presented at the 2020 North American Society for the Psychology of Sport and Physical Activity Virtual Conference.