Office: AAC 487.3
- Applied Human Physiology 1
- Exercise Science & Training Practicum
- Exercise Science Clinical Practicum
- Neuromuscular Physiology
- Athletic Performance Testing & Training
- Exercise in Chronic Conditions
- Implementation of Physical Activity Guidelines into Practice
Volunteer for several professional organizations including Diabetes Canada, Heart & Stroke Foundation, Canadian Society for Exercise Physiology, Exercise is Medicine, ParticipACTION
Gives talks and volunteers for LifeCycle to promote active living in the community
- O’Brien. MW, Shields CA, Solmundson K, Fowles JR. Exercise is Medicine Canada workshop training improves physical activity practices of physicians across Canada, independent of initial confidence level. Can. Med. Educ. J. 2020. In press. https://doi.org/10.36834/cmej.68376.
- O’Brien MW, Johns J., Dorey T, Frayne R, Fowles JR, Mekary S, Kimmerly DS. Validity of the activPAL and Height-Adjusted Curvilinear Cadence-METs Equations in Healthy Adults. Meas. Phys. Act. Exerc. Sci. 2020.DOI:10.1080/1091367X.2020.1724112
- O’Brien MW, Johns J., Dorey T, Frayne R, Fowles JR, Mekary S, Kimmerly DS. Meeting International Aerobic Physical Activity Guidelines is Associated with Enhanced Cardiovagal Baroreflex Sensitivity in Healthy Older Adults. Clin Auton Res (2020) 30:139-148. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10286-019-00641-9
- O’Brien. MW., C. Shields, L Campbell, S.J Crowell, JR Fowles. Perceptions and Practices of Providing Physical Activity Counselling and Exercise Prescriptions among Physiotherapists in Nova Scotia. Phys. Can. 2019. https://doi.org/10.3138/ptc-2018-0098
- Steeves. D,. M. Jordan, L. Thornley, M. Bawol, F. Jobin, J. Kruk, JR Fowles.. A High-Performance approach to the strength and power training evolution in 200m Kayak/Canoe. J. Australian. Str. Cond. 2018. 26(7): 79-83.
- Exercise Management in the Context of Primary Health Care Delivery. Nova Scotia Health Authority Primary Care Directors Meeting. Halifax Nova Scotia, June 25, 2019.
- Exercise is Medicine for the Management of Low Back Pain and Overall Health of Patients. Canadian Memorial Chiropractic College Symposium at Homecoming. Toronto, Ontario May 31, 2019.
- Exercise is ‘Emergency’ Medicine. Canadian Association of Emergency Physicians Annual Conference. Wellness Track Symposium. Halifax, Nova Scotia, May 25, 2019.
- Integrating Exercise into Health Care: Innovative Strategies to Engage Practitioners and Patients. Exercise is Medicine Global Webinar. April 16, 2019.
- Lifestyle Prescription in Primary Care. Dalhousie Medicine Annual Spring Refresher.