Office: AAC 487.3
- Applied Human Physiology 1
- Fitness Programming
- Physiological Assessment
- Exercise & Training Practicum
- Neuromuscular Physiology
- Athletic Performance Testing & Training
- Exercise in Chronic Conditions
- Implementation of Physical Activity Guidelines into Practice
Volunteer for several professional organizations including Diabetes Canada, Heart & Stroke Foundation, Canadian Society for Exercise Physiology, Exercise is Medicine, ParticipACTION
Gives talks and volunteers for LifeCycle to promote active living in the community
- O’Brien. MW., C. Shields, K.L Campbell, S.J Crowell, J.R. Fowles. Perceptions and Practices of Providing Physical Activity Counselling and Exercise Prescriptions among Physiotherapists in Nova Scotia. Phys. Can. 2019. In Press
- O’Brien MW, Robinson SA, Frayne R, Mekary S, Fowles JR, Kimmerly DS. Achieving Canadian physical activity guidelines is associated with better vascular function independent of aerobic fitness and sedentary time in older adults. Applied Physiology, Nutrition, and Metabolism. 2018 Apr 19;43(10):1003-9.
- Steeves, D., M. Jordan, L. Thornley, M. Bawol, F. Jobin, J. Kruk, J.R. Fowles.. A High-Performance approach to the strength and power training evolution in 200m Kayak/Canoe. J. Australian. Str. Cond. 2018. 26(7): 79-83.
- O'Brien MW, Kivell MJ, Wojcik WR, D'Entremont GR, Kimmerly DS, J.R. Fowles. Influence of Anthropometrics on Step-Rate Thresholds for Moderate and Vigorous Physical Activity in Older Adults: Scientific Modeling Study. JMIR Aging 2018;1(2):e12363. DOI: 10.2196/12363
- O’Brien. M.W., C. Shields, S. Crowell, O. Theou, P. McGrath, J.R. Fowles. The Effects of Previous Educational Training on Physical Activity Counselling and Exercise Prescription Practices Among Physicians Across Nova Scotia: A Cross-Sectional Study. Can. Med. Educ. J. 2018.12:9(4) e35-e45.
- Exercise Management in the Context of Primary Health Care Delivery. Nova Scotia Health Authority Primary Care Directors Meeting. Halifax Nova Scotia, June 25, 2019.
- Exercise is Medicine for the Management of Low Back Pain and Overall Health of Patients. Canadian Memorial Chiropractic College Symposium at Homecoming. Toronto, Ontario May 31, 2019.
- Exercise is ‘Emergency’ Medicine. Canadian Association of Emergency Physicians Annual Conference. Wellness Track Symposium. Halifax, Nova Scotia, May 25, 2019.
- Integrating Exercise into Health Care: Innovative Strategies to Engage Practitioners and Patients. Exercise is Medicine Global Webinar. April 16, 2019.
- Lifestyle Prescription in Primary Care. Dalhousie Medicine Annual Spring Refresher.